Wednesday, January 19, 2011

about new home cooking

First off, I'm thinking of renaming this blog as 'new country style cooking' or maybe just 'country cooking'; I have always loved the classic comfort foods of American country style cooking, as well as cuisines from around the world, but I want to eat healthy. I was trained, un-classically, as a gourmet cook. I learned how to make a roux, and what a mirepoix is, how to use a knife, the science of the bakery, all in the french style of classic cooking and I have spend some time watching and reading of what the great chefs of modern cuisine do. Now I am trying to take from what I know how to create in the kitchen and apply that to what I have learned is the healthy (or healthier) ways to eat. I will take the time to explore food through what is seasonally available and what is regionally available. I want to see what food I can grow here in the west coast countryside, and write about the flavors I come up with. What would be a food blog without recipes?
Roasted chicken with mixed roasted vegetables

1 whole fryer chicken
1 lemon
fresh parsley
1/2 lb. mushrooms (can't wait to go get fresh ones soon!)
 carrots
 celery
 onions
2 zucchini
Annie's Shiitake sesame vinaigrette or:
1/2 C olive oil
1/4 apple cider vinegar
1/4 c soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 clove garlic, chopped finely
1/4 teaspoon prepared mustard.  (whisk ingredients from olive oil through mustard for dressing)
Seasoning blend of choice, preferably low or no salt, or:
mix together
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon paprika
 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
pinches of: celery seed powder, dried thyme, rosemary, sage, oregano (crush or mix in a coffee grinder for best flavor)
Heat oven to 400
Rinse the chicken, remove gizzards. Squeeze lemon juice over and inside of chicken,  then coat chicken generously with seasoning blend from recipe, inside the cavity too, or use a low or no salt blend, and then stuff parsley sprigs and a piece of the squeezed lemon into the cavity.  Place chicken in roasting pan, if you don't have a rack then lay down a couple of pieces of celery to set the bird on. Place a whole carrot, half an onion in the pan. Cover and place in oven. Roast for 1 hour to 1 and 1/2 hours, until the legs come apart from the bird easily.

Cut veggies into large chunks and coat with dressing. roast them at 400, in a baking dish, for about half an hour. If you do potatoes, cook them closer to an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment